Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Beware Downtown Memphis


The hospitality you receive in Memphis is wonderful. As you can see, for $25 you can have this wonderful barrel attached to your car if you leave it in the wrong spot.





If you don't have $25, you can always take the trolley across town.


To world famous Alfred's on Beale where you might get shot.



If you make it all the way down Beale you can admire the wonderful statue of W.C. Handy and notice the bums resting against the building in the background.



If you are headed for the FedEx Forum, and there's no game going on, put your hand in your pocket and switch off the safety on your 9mm. What? You aren't packing? Not smart.



On your way back toward the Peabody, you will pass some of the newer buildings with some old familiar sights.

Safety in numbers. The horses know that.



One of the great old Theaters in America, the Orpheum. I had to take the picture quick though, because there were several bums eyeing my camera.


All kidding aside, this is where it really did get dicey. I walked over the grated streets down to the river to get a glimpse of the bridge and the riverboats...



On my way down the empty street, I noticed a tall, black man with too little clothing on for the frigid temperature. He was walking across the street and I wondered if he would follow me. Well, wouldn't you know it, he did. I crossed over Riverside Dr. and took this photo, post haste.



When I looked back, he was just across the street and headed my direction. It was dark and we were the only two people within earshot of each other. Not another soul could be seen. Then I heard him call out, "Hey!" with something inaudible following. 

Awesome, I said to myself and started walking toward the bridge. As he crossed the street to get to my side of the road, I counter-crossed after several cars in order to buy as much time as possible if he were to follow. It worked. I stuck him on the other side of the street, while I made a quick getaway up the hill, back to the safety of the masses on Main Street.





Past the Cotton Exchange, past the dilapidated buildings, past Huey's (one of the best burgers in the world by the way) down to the Peabody.



I guess you could call me a snob, but I felt rather at home inside the lavish building. People listening to the jazz piano player, croning Christmas tunes, while sipping a on fine Scotch in the warmth was much more appealing to me. I hung out in here for awhile, while I waited for Chuck to get out of his company's business party. 



All in All, in Memphis, you'll need a large vault for your valuables.





No comments:

Post a Comment