Friday, April 1, 2011

Dawn of Adventure

Oh deer!


With sights like this it was almost hard to leave Arkansas, but after three months of fried catfish, ribs, burgers, and soul food galore, it was time to make my way back west. Trips like these really do make one take stock in their situation and illuminate and or remind us of our tastes for life. I like the ocean.

So, as I look back on my time in Hot Springs, I look back fondly and with wisdom gained.
Spending time with my father and step-mother was a golden experience.


 And the sun set on another chapter of my life. A new Chapter begins here.


Ozark National Forest. FYI, National Forests and Grasslands along with BLM lands are free to camp just about anywhere. There are a few stipulations, like you have to setup 400 yards from water, and be off the main road, etc, but, for the most part, you can camp anywhere for FREE! So that's what I did. This was the first "side of the road spot" and it was almost perfect.

The area was already set up for camping. A small fire pit made out of indigenous rock sat on one side and along the back was a small, long, bivouac covered with metal sheets. The site had the above view over the Ozark mountains. I say almost, because, even though it was remote and beautiful and free, the harrowing sight of a pit bull staring at me will stick in my mind forever. As I made my way down the hill to look for Yonav, I spotted a Pit Bull sitting in the middle of the trail. Fortunately for us, he was dead. Not so fortunate for him. I assume he was killed for some reason: fighting, biting a child, whatever. It still gave a chill to the already thin air surrounding us. I called Yonav away from the area, and left that area alone. For a moment, I thought to take a picture; then I decided against it. I have seen many dead animals on this trip and have decided not to photo them. Superstition, probably. Must be the Indian in me. I think some of them wouldn't take pictures, because they thought that it robbed the person of part of their soul. It's something like that for me with the dead animals. So you get no dead animals and like it.


Down the hill to the left...


This little guy was almost dead. A frost covered the ground on this morning, and by about noon, this guy had found a spot in the sun. He couldn't move. He was a sitting duck, but I think he managed to survive and slink off into the woods later on in the day.


These first two nights on the road were exactly what I was hoping for. I spent two amazing sunsets on this foothill then decided to move deeper into the Grand Canyon of the Ozarks...

No comments:

Post a Comment