Friday, November 26, 2010

Billy's Creek

On the way out of Oklahoma, I had some locations mapped and tagged as "spots to hit" I had tagged them on the way in and figured that one day I might be able to hit them up. Driving back, I googled them on my iPhone. Billy's Creek seemed like a nice spot, and it didn't disappoint.

Off the beaten path, Billy's Creek is not easy to find. There were very few signs giving directions once you got off the main road. Driving past several old homes and mobile homes, I began to wonder if I was going the right direction, then I hit the gravel road with markers de-marking the national forest. The campsite has 12 primitive sites; each with a lamp hanger, picnic table, fire pit and grill.  I was the only person in the campsite, so I got the pick of the litter. I chose the spot overlooking the creek, where you could hear the bubbling brook below. This was the view from the side doors of the van.





Yonav is a water fiend and headed straight for the creek. 


The peace of camping solo with a dog is an awesome experience. I felt as free as I ever have. At any moment, I felt as if I could do whatever I wanted. It was almost too much freedom. I found myself looking at the sky and the trees and the creek and wondering what to do. Then I realized that this was Nirvana. If I felt like hiking, I could just pack up the dog and head out. I could make food. I could do nothing. I could listen to music. "This is my house today," I kept saying. My yard was a fall masterpiece filled with birds and trees and cliffs. King for a day. There was nowhere to be and nothing to do. The world was my oyster. The simple task of starting up the fire and cooking the food on the open flame was so fulfilling, much more so than selling a stupid piece of fitness equipment so some stupid waiter could serve me some food. That night, I drank and smoked a cigar with Nocello, and feasted on smokey chicken drummies.  I finished cooking just as the rain began to fall. The cleansing and the freedom was like taking a cold shower. The guy seemed to have a good night as well. Here, he illustrates my time in the darkness.






The next morning, I awoke to the sound of the dribbling stream and decided to explore the trails in the national forest. This was the first one I found and would love to go back and check out the others. Most of these trails were made for horses as well.


  
      
Can you find Yonav's print?


Saddle up


Vultures Overhead

        

I found it hard to leave, but I had some golf to play back in Hot Springs Village. Ah the life of a Gypsy Roller.

1 comment: