Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Welcome Home

Ah, home sweet home...

The Memphis bridge. The construction was some serious foreshadowing...


Memphis is my hometown, it's where I grew up. It has always been a rough city in certain places. And when I mean rough, I mean gangs and racial tension - drive by shootings downtown, crack in Orange Mound, and lots of rednecks. However, there were spots, particularly out east, where you had quiet country living, wholesome and untainted by the murderous gangs of the inner city. Now, those wholesome places are few and far between. Most of the town is like New Jack City these days. I can honestly say that I would feel much safer in LA than Memphis. I always said that if I were to raise some critters, that I wouldn't do it in LA. Well, you can scratch Memphis off that list as well. Even the regular prejudice/racist white folks that should embrace me, being a whitey, turn their faces to the ground and keep walking, afraid that I might rape or murder them or worse. There is no waving to everyone anymore, that's for sure. Arkansas was much different in that regard. There is no southern hospitality in this city. It is -- fear for your life and keep on trucking until you get into your house where you can lock the twelve deadbolts.

With the highest per capita murder rate and one of the highest per capita car jacking and car theft rates, it's no wonder these people are closed off. The downturned economy has severely left it's scars on this town. People are stealing more and tipping less. It sure is an eye opener to see middle America like this. I have seen the effects on the people in LA, but it is no comparison to what's going on in these low income cities. Be thankful if you still live in a city with an economy.


One of the few bright spots is the Fed Ex Forum. Here, the Grizzlies and the Tigers keep this city entertained. If the Tigers didn't have a good team, I think the entire city would be anarchy.



Another thing about Memphis and the south in general is that everyone smokes. Here is a view from the smoking section outside the Forum.



The good thing about the Grizzlies game was that for 5 bucks on a monday night we were in. The stadium was only half full. They were playing Phoenix, and we were able to sneak down to the $100 seats at halftime. Got me some close up Stevie Nash!




 ...And the Grizzlies won!


After the game we hit Beale Street, and enjoyed the crack whores and police, interspersed with a couple of tourists.



The next order of business was Memphis ribs. The Guy is seen here, with his first taste of Chuck's famous ribs. Mmm...



 Since Chuck's computer is, well, a computer, and he has no wifi, I used the wifi at Borders across the street.



I decided to take Yonav for a walk down Poplar Ave into Germantown. About a 2 mile hike. Like LA, no one walks here, so I got some strange looks and comments when I told people about this adventure.On our walk to Saddle Creek, (a posh outdoor mall in Germantown where I used to work at the Sunglass Hut, which is no longer there) Yonav and I ran into two fake horses. These guys were more than happy to have their pictures taken with the old boy. 




Here is some of the modern architecture, you will find in Memphis...


...and this this the night sky.



There is beauty here, but it is locked inside a cloudy crystal ball.

And, of course, this is what you do at night to forget all your woes. The guy found out the hard way what it means to be a Memphian. He got caught with his hand in the preverbal cookie jar.


All in all, it was a successful trip back to M-town, but things sure aren't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment